Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Genius Time and Film Editing week!

I know I'm a little late in posting. I was sick on Friday but I'm back now! 

So my Genius Time project is finally starting up. I have all my interviews this week that I'm so excited for. I did have one person drop out because her daughter is having a wedding cake taste. Honestly I wish I could go with her and eat some cake too....but anyway I'll have to find someone else to do it. But it won't be a problem because she gave me someone else that might be willing to do an interview so everything is going to work out with that. Tomorrow I will actually start my interviews with three people and then on Saturday I will actually be interviewing my mentors, Mario and Rydder from Nicaragua, so hopefully wifi connections and recording issues will work itself out. But I am really excited to see the final product and see what people have to say about what they learned and if they are now interested on going on mission trips. 

But also this week in DigCit class, we are working on our films for the Next Vista film contest. As you know my group has Angels and Sparrows Soup Kitchen, we just got our film last week of  interviews from the owner, volunteers and footage of people coming in and seeing how everything works at the soup kitchen. Talking to Sandy Tilley was so exciting because she really had a great story to tell about how she got started and everything she's been through with the soup kitchen. One thing that really stuck with me is that she never kept trying to start the kitchen. She went looking for help and people told her either that there were no hungry/poor people in the area or that they would help once she got everything started herself instead of helping her start things right away. Sandy would just smile and be on her way, until finally a couple of churches got the money together to build the kitchen, had volunteers help put up the building and opened the soup kitchen a week later. I tried to put myself in her shoes, thinking that if people were telling me that there were no hungry or poor people in the area what would I do? Would I continue on my way and look for other supporters or would I just quit and go home? It's hard to imagine being put in that situation but I'm glad Sandy was the one who kept persevering and believed that she could do something great. 

Thanks for reading! Hopefully I'll post Friday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment